New England 2009 Day 1 Update

Saturday, July 11, 2008


Wow, What a crazy and fun event!

BS inspection didn't go as smoothly as I expected. Despite having only spent around $385 into the car and having a well organized binder with extensive and thorough documentation, we were penalized 70 laps. This was actually reduced from 200 because we bribed the shit out of the judges with T-shirts, BBQ Pulled Pork, Brownies, and $50! I guess I really should have expected it for bringing "Noch einer Scheif E30.". ;)
BS Judgement (bribe on the hood)

Brian started off the first stint and had a very nice clean 2 hour session. Went from 51st out of 55 to 44th.


Ed hit someone pretty quick (ran into the back) and came in w/o being black flag. They never spotted it, but he came in and admitted it so they gave him a penalty. He had to do Mime Your Crime. It was acually pretty good. Ed really gets into it.

He then came in for 2 wheels off when some slow a-hole drivers pinch you and push you off track (usaully on purpose). He got Slang Dictionary. Again another good performance. Ed got us down to 34.


I got in and quickly had someone push me off as well. Since that was 3 penalties in a row we got a 30min penality. Quickly learned not to try to go 2 wide into T1 or T2. Once I got that down I got in the zone and started picking off cars left and right on the outer loop.
Ended up setting 2nd fasted lap out of everyone with a 31.5. Fastest lap is set by the guys in 1st place with a 31.0. I then took what looked like a huge opening that a guy was letting me pass on the infield I was huging the grass in the inside and he on the outside, as I get a nose past, he hits me just in front of my drivers door. I quickly come in before getting flagged, and switch drivers. The hit felt bad, but luckily no damage to the BMW other than scuff marks. When I pulled into the pits, the car died. I thought the worse but hoped it was a loose vacuum hose and since I had seen one that was split, I figured it was that one. Turns out it was so we were back in shape. I got us down to 24th place.


We are basically going out and doing as long as we can go or 2 hour max. Brian and I where doing the full 2hours while Gary and Ed where somewhat shorter stints do to uncomfotable seat recline position.

By end of day we were in 20th. Not bad considering we started 4th from last and had over an hour of penalties.

Run order went like this:
Brian
Ed
Scott
Gary
Brian
Ed (30 mins before rain @9:30 and early shut down of track - was a good idea)

Tomorrow will be (assuming we don't get crushed):
Gary
Ed
Scott

We are hopeful that we don't get crushed. We are fast and can pass at will, but there are MUCH bigger aholes out there. We hope that those guys stand out in there minds instead of us.

The car drives well and super reliable (knocks on wood) . W/O penalties, longer driver stints, and better organization, and more crew, its possible we may even have a chance at checker at the next event.

No comments: